Sunday, May 25, 2008

Picking up speed

Today's run: 5km race, 31 mins 22 secs

Well it was bloody freezing this morning lining up for the 5km race at 7:30am. Lots of fog and not many degrees. I was pleased to be able to line up though... my sister and her husband were visiting Sydney and so I needed my run to be done early so I could go and have breakfast at Mum and Dad's with them. And truth be told, there was a part of me that thought that if I did the 5km race, I wouldn't feel so bad for not pushing for a further distance in a training run!

The race wasn't too bad. I didn't feel very speedy but it wasn't too shocking a time. No where near a PB, but I figure that since my half, I only did a puny run yesterday so I wasn't expecting big things. Nice as always to run in company.

It has also solidified what I want to focus on post-half... speed training. I think I'll always be a slow poke, but slow poke is a relative term, and after being comprehensively beaten by not just one but many kids under 15, and by quite a lot of minutes I might add, I think it's time I focused on getting quicker. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being beaten by kids, but I guess it has made me realise that I just haven't put the effort into running fast like I've put the effort into running long. I'm going to borrow a trundle wheel from school on Monday and look like an idiot measuring a 400m track for my intervals. I've worked out what pace I think I should be running at, and I keep playing with my watch to see if I can work out the lap timer function (I can't). All that's left to do know is put my money where my mouth is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been told that you can't work on speed and distance at the same time, it's easier to start with distance then improve speed after when you've got some distance up. So, probably a fair enough time to start speedwork. I like running with company too.

Megan Hall said...

I'm too lazy to measure out a track, but I determined that 400m is about a quarter mile, so I do quarter mile repeats. Lame.