Saturday, May 3, 2008

Last long run before my first half

Wednesday's run: 4.9 km, 36 mins 24 secs

Today's run: 18.75 km, 2 hrs 37 mins 27 secs


First week back at school this week after the holidays - and so finding the energy and strength of mind to go running midweek was pretty difficult! As you can see from the above, I only managed it once! On Wednesday I ran over to Mum and Dad's and had dinner with them, then Dad drove me home. It wasn't a fantastic run - my left shin was quite sore, and I just never felt very comfortable on that run. But at least I got one done.

As for this morning, I got up at about 6am for breakfast - since I'll have breakfast before my run on race day, I wanted to see how that went today. Following breakfast though, I fell asleep again for another hour or so whilst it digested! Once I woke up (again) and got myself and my gear together, off I went. It wasn't a bad run, but not wonderful either. Legs felt ok, and no shin tenderness - having said that I wondered whether I had more of a heel strike happening today? (Something to check out at a later date). Mentally I tried to think only about running to the next corner, running to the next traffic light etc, rather than thinking of the whole long way I would be going. I was able to do that alright today, but I didn't feel quite as energetic as last week.

I have some concerns about my time in the half. I should say that really my goal is to finish, but I think anyone would be lying if they said they didn't have a time in mind. My first time goal is 2 hrs 30 mins, and the secret second time goal is 2 hrs 20 mins. Neither of them are quick times, but it's such a long time to keep up a quicker pace that I'm starting to get a bit worried. Today I managed nearly 19 kms, but on the day I'll need to do 2 more kms, and even at 19kms it took me 2 hrs 40 mins roughly.

Perhaps it's the nerves starting... Two weeks of tapering, here I come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great effort! You'll do fine for the last couple of km of the half marathon, the fun of the event will carry you through. Don't worry too much about the time, make your first one fun. Can't wait to hear how you go, will be thinking of you!