Sunday, March 22, 2009

First goal achieved

Today's run: 4.9km, 39 mins, 10 secs

Well in fact my first goal was to run for 5km without stopping to walk. I ran 4.9km today, but I'm not quibbling over 100m... the route from my place to my parents place is only 4.9km and I wasn't going to jog on the spot to make up the distance! It's nice to see that at least each time I start running again it takes me less to get back to running 5km again.

My next goal is to run 5km regularly three times a week. This week it was my 'long' run.

In other running related news, I went to the Athlete's Foot today to look at some new runners. As comfy as mine are they have over 600km on them and I know they are very worn down. But I didn't want to buy from there as the sales person was quite pushy. She tried to get me to get some orthotics, which I know I don't need and have never used, and tried to sell me a Nike + armband system, when I asked about the Nike + that goes with an Ipod (and which is much cheaper than the armband one!). I did however try on a comfy pair of Mizunos (the equivalent of what I have now) but they were $200 and ever since I got my mortgage a couple of years ago, I have lost my ability to spend money. Now, at face value that sounds good (and it usually is), but it has actually gotten to the point where I find it hard to justify buying ANYTHING that isn't a bare necessity. However I fear the life of my old runners is coming to an end....

I will have to work myself up to splurging on a pair soon!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Good on you for sticking with it. Watch out with the shoes, I've found that worn shoes cause my shins to hurt.

I too have found the staff at Athlete's Foot very pushy.