Saturday, May 16, 2009

Some runs just don't go to plan

Today's run: 5km in 46 mins 13 secs (yes, that time is apalling).

The last week at work has been a long one. In particular on Thursday and Friday I have been dealing with quite an involved, emotional and draining issue with some students. I knew on Friday evening that I was tired, but I didn't realise just how tired I was. I had my usual drink after work with some friends, and was starving on the way home so I grabbed some Mc Donalds for dinner. I really have been making such an effort to eat more healthily lately too, so I was a bit ashamed of that. When I got home, I just dumped my stuff on the floor and lay on the couch, where I promptly fell asleep for an hour whilst watching Better Homes and Gardens. I only woke up because I received a text message from a friend. I stayed awake for a couple of hours, then went to bed at about 10pm, sleeping through until 9am this morning. So that's 12 hours sleep. Like I said, I knew I was tired, but not THAT tired!

So when I finally got myself going this morning for a run, I felt quite refreshed and I figured I might likely have a good run with lots of energy. How wrong can I be? I just had NO energy whatsoever. I haven't walked this much in a 'run' for quite a long time. It was very windy out today, but it was a reasonably warm wind. I have to say that getting out for a walk/run was actually quite enjoyable, I just couldn't get myself going. I felt like a wind up toy that hadn't been wound up.

Oh well, here's hoping there's better runs around the corner. And only one more run tomorrow until I have completed my 3-runs-a-week-for-3-weeks goal. And I'm still not getting too worried by being slow or not running too far, which is good!

No comments: