Saturday, February 16, 2008

My longest long run yet

Today's run: 8km, 1 hr 6 mins 18 secs

For a lot of people my longest long run to date is not that long, and my time is not exactly blisteringly fast. But I am happy with it. I had second thoughts as I got out the door as it was sprinkling with rain (enough of the rain here already!), but I'm really glad I kept going as it lasted only a few minutes, and then was nice and sunny. It took a good couple of km's to get a steady comfortable pace, but after that I just plodded along for an hour. The only time I stopped was to cross roads at traffic lights etc. My mind did well too - I was trying not to focus on my route and how far I was going, just concentrate on what was happening around me. The route was one that I hadn't taken before, so I was looking at all the homes and apartments around and that kept my head occupied. I only started thinking about the fact that my legs were tired about 1.5km from home.

Nothing terribly exciting or interesting happened on this run, but I did want to post about something that I saw on one of my mid-week runs, and I never got chance during the week. I often run through a local park, and there are lots of other jogger, cyclists and people out walking. Anyway, I saw this guy who was standing in front of a tree. The tree was a biggun' - you couldn't put your arms around the trunk of it. The guy was pumping himself up, grunting, making strange noises, and then would start pummeling the tree really hard with his fists! Now he didn't look like one of those zen karate masters who can punch through concrete, he was just an overweight lunatic! It certainly kept me amused, as he was in view for quite a while...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the run, that's a great effort! It always feels great when you see improvement. I think the mind is the biggest battle, if you can control that, your legs can just keep going.