Sunday, February 17, 2008

Race number one!

Today's run: 5km Race, 31 mins 7 secs

Well I made it to my first race! (Actually I've done quite a few races, but not since I have been back running this time around, so it feels like my first race all over again). It wasn't a PB for 5km (that's currently 29 mins 27 secs), but I was reasonably happy with it.

Got up at 6:10 this morning, which for a weekend, is incredibly early for me. After changing into my running clothes and a glass of water, I hopped in the car and drove the 20 mins to the race. As I got there, the earlier 25km start got underway, so I had half an hour to pay my entry fee, go to the loo and store my bag. It was just enough time to get everything done comfortably, then I strolled over to the start area. I suppose there may have been about 60 or so people (I'm really bad at estimating numbers), but there was a 10km and a 5km starting at the same time, so not sure how many for each. As usual, I was towards the back, and I started out quicker than normal, but still reasonably slowly. I got to the first km in about 6 and a half minutes, so I figured 30 minutes wasn't going to happen. After today's run, one thing I know I need to work on is breathing deeply and getting enough air in when I am running faster. It's never an issue on my slow long runs, but I had just a small stitch for a fair portion of the way today, and there were times where I wanted to breathe deeper and get more air in but my lungs wouldn't oblige.

Once I hit the 2km mark, I tried to pick up the pace a bit - I reasoned I was nearly halfway there. Then each km after that I tried to pick up the pace more and more. I was pleased that I managed to pass a few runners who had been frustratingly out of reach earlier in the race. I was really pleased with my speed from about 4km onwards. There were some definite negative splits happening today!

Like I said, 31:07 is not a PB, but hey, they can't all be. And this means now that I have a time registered for Vanilla's Shave your 5k, I have something to work towards later in the year!

To top things off, after my race this morning, I came home and managed to ride further on my bike than I have before... 22.4km in about an hour. So now I am feeling very healthy, pleasantly exhausted, and pretty pleased with myself!

3 comments:

Neese said...

You need to change your blog name you are surely *not* slow in my book :) Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great run, you must feel great! Love the link to Shave Your 5k, looks like a fun thing to do!

Anonymous said...

Hi, don't beat yourself up.

Remember a world record holder is only someone who is better today than they were yesterday.

Tomorrow - someone else may be better..