Saturday, April 25, 2009

Holiday goal achieved!

Today's run: 4.9km in 38 mins 33 secs

As I have said in previous posts, these school holidays were all about getting back to some regular running. I had sort of done that towards the end of last term, but weeks 10 and 11 of the term I pretty much gave up and went into survival mode, so the running got ditched.

With that in mind I set myself the target of doing 10 runs these holidays. The idea behind that was that if I could run 5 times a week in the holidays and enjoy it, I would have more chance of being able to run 3 times a week during the term. With good reason I'm not following a training plan at the moment, I just want to be able to get out there and run. I want to MISS running when I don't do it. I want to WANT to go for a run.

Anyway, as the title suggests I did run number 10 today! And generally speaking my runs have all been quite enjoyable. Not every one of them has felt 'easy' or 'blisteringly fast', but they have mostly felt good. I think in the past I have been so bogged down about how many kms I SHOULD be running etc, then feeling guilty if I haven't made the distance.

So what's the next goal you ask? (You didn't ask? Tough. I'll tell you anyway).

My next mini-goal is to run at least 3 times a week for the first three weeks of term. (OK, three weeks is not long, but I need to break things up into manageable bits. If I think about having to do that for the WHOLE term, it just becomes too big of a goal to imagine accomplishing it).

I'm wondering whether I should do some fun runs or races at the moment, or whether somehow feeling like I have to get faster will take the fun out of this again? What do you think?

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Congrats on meeting your goal!! They say it takes 21 days to change a habit, so if you can keep to your running schedule for 3 weeks, you should be just about there.
I always like to aim for a fun run, not to race, but to have fun, it's a nice atmosphere. Any nice sounding runs coming up?