Saturday, April 18, 2009

Take your own advice

Today's run: 4.8km in the blistering time of 45 mins 43 secs

I post on a running forum, and just yesterday there was someone who posted a question saying that they had completed the Couch to 5km program, but seemed to be stuck running 5km and couldn't get past that point. It's not often there are questions posted that I feel I am qualified to answer, but this one was different. So I replied that I thought the runner should slow down, even if they felt they were going at a snails pace. Anytime I have wanted to increase my distance, I have found that if I slow down even more I have the longevity in my legs to keep going further.

It occurred to me today as I ran that I have had some difficulty in getting past 3.2km without stopping to walk a few times and running out of energy. Duh! Slow down, Slow Poke! And whilst I struggled to overtake some people who were WALKING around my regular loop, I did slow down, and I did manage to do 4.8km without having to take any walk breaks. My time was embarassing, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

I wore my new shoes for the first time. They felt pretty comfy, although I think I tied them too tight, particularly around the toe box. On my right foot, I got a little pins and needles in my toes! I'll have to adjust them and give them another burl.

Also I ran with my Ipod again... and I wore it on the other arm to normal. Now this is going to sound really OCD, but I am very much a creature of habit. As silly as it sounds, that threw me off completely. My earphone cord tangled the wrong way and I managed to get my arm caught and nearly rip my ear buds out of my ears. To anyone behind me I think it would have looked like someone swinging wildly as they went through a spider's web!

The other funny thing I saw was a crow with a golf ball in its mouth. It just sat there for ages... didn't drop the ball, just staring at me with the giant golf ball. There is another crow I often see on my runs. It has had a broken wing for years now and can't fly, but seems to make a living just scavenging on the ground.

OK well I've now had breakfast and typed all of this, I think at 11am it's now time for a shower and to start my day!

No comments: