Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wow... I actually have lots to post about!

I suppose, since I actually have a bit to say, that I should do this chronologically.

Let's start with yesterday. I ran over to my parent's place for lunch (I love school holidays... running whenever I want without struggling to fit it in!) by a new longer route. The route itself was nice, but I had trouble with my back. After the first 30 minutes or so, I just found that with every step I took I had a jarring sensation in my lower back (and by lower back, I almost mean the top of my bum). It got so that it mostly turned into a walk over to Mum and Dad's. But it was a lovely walk... the sun was shining, I was on holidays, it was warmer than it has been in a while... one of those days when it's glorious to be alive!

I think part of the reason for my back ache was my shoes. They are really old. No, even older than whatever you're thinking. Not only have I had them for years, but they have about 650km on them, and that's since I started keeping a log of my running. They have just about NO tread under the ball of the foot and the lining inside is torn in a few places. Now I have read all the information out there that says you should change your shoes much more frequently than that. But because my running has been so stop / start, each time I start again, I think I should buy some new shoes. But then I questions whether its worth the money if I'm going to lose interest in running again. Now that I have a mortgage hanging round my neck finding $150-$200 for a pair of shoes is no easy feat (or "feet"... get it?!).

But after yesterday's effort I decided I had to bite the bullet. I had been to the Athlete's Foot a couple of weeks ago, and had asked to try some runners on that were the current model of my old ones (Mizuno Wave Maverick, to be exact). So I tried some on, and the lady there tried to sell me some orthotics, for my perfectly evenly balanced, not-rolling-in and not-rolling-out feet. If MY feet need orthotics, then there is NO help for anyone else! I felt so pressured by the sales person I ended up not buying anything. Yesterday though, I went back and was very insistent on the model I wanted, which were $159. They wanted me to try on a pair that were $199, and supposedly the "model up" from mine. However the sole under the heel and under the ball of the foot was soooo cushioned I felt like Neil Armstrong bouncing up and down in them! So I went with my gut, which was the $159 ones that felt exaclty like my oldies, only new!

Here's a picture of the pretty things........


Nice and shiny and new!

I know lots of advice is to go to a proper running store to get fitted for shoes, but in all honesty, there isn't one within a 50 minute drive of me. So as long as these are as comfy and good as my ol' faithfuls, then I'll be very happy.

I'll have to give them a test run tomorrow.

The other thing that I did isn't really running related, but exercise related, so I guess it counts enough to post on here. It's my blog anyway, and I'll do what I want to!

I went for a bike ride this morning with my Dad. He rides regularly, about an hour or so every day, now that he is retired. I haven't ridden in months and months, but the weather has been so nice I figured a ride would be a good way of getting some extra exercise, but would be a change from running. So this morning we did a 35km ride over about 3 and a half hours. Now that may sound pathetically slow to anyone who cycled, but it was just a lovely leisurely ride... we didn't want to break any records (don't worry... we didn't!), just enjoy the ride. There were some painful hills at the beginning and end, and lots of traffic lights to cross at at the beginning and end, but aside from that the middle part of the ride was great. Long, uninterrupted stretches of bike paths and gentle undulations. We even stopped for a coffee at Mc Donalds on teh way home to get some extra energy!

Of course the only down side to the bike ride is that I now have a case of what I termed "bicyle butt". You know, the bruises that develop on your sensitive tail bone from too many hours in the saddle! Hopefully my butt recovers so I can try out my new kicks tomorrow!

Phew.... I'm now exhausted from writing so much.... I don't think I've ever had a post this long!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

I found the Athlete's Foot really pushy too, and it took me ages of waiting for them to get my Saucony's in, before I just told them to give me a refund. They're beeeyoootiful!! I just wish they stayed looking that clean for longer.