Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Kaizen"

Today's run: 3.2km, 25 mins 4 secs

Nothing much exciting to report about my run today. I had planned on doing my 4.8km loop, but about halfway there were a few spots of rain. For the record, I didn't wimp out because of the rain, but I did call it quits early and make the loop shorter because I had my Ipod on. It's still relatively new and I'm not sure that my arm band will really protect it from rain... I would hate for it to die already!

Mentally I'm still struggling a little with not pushing myself to go too far or too fast, but as I have said before, I think slow and comfy is the way to KEEP me running longer term. There is a Japanese term 'kaizen' that means something like 'slowly, slowly' that captures it for me. The analogy that I had was someone starting running. The first day you go for a 10 minute walk. Then a 10 minute walk and somewhere in there you do a 10 second jog. The following day the jog is 11 seconds, then 12 seconds etc. Whilst the progress is super slow it's obviously well within what you are capable of. I'm not quite taking it to such extremes, but I it's certainly a principle I think as I go out and do my measly 3.2km runs at such a slow pace!

No comments: