Sunday, March 9, 2008

I think I can...

Today's run: 6.4km, 47 mins 42 secs

I've been toying with the idea for the last couple of weeks about entering a half marathon. Like I said yesterday, there's two that I have in mind and both are on May 18. But for the last week of so I've been having this conversation in my head about whether I would be ready and able to run a half by then. One minute I think I should go for it, the next I am asking myself "but what if I don't make it?"

I think this weekend I have gotten to the point where I think I will just take the leap and go for it. I'm not going to send in an entry form just yet, but I guess I am now serious where I think I will follow the HM training program a little more strictly. I am using Half Higdon's novice program - at the moment I'm a couple of weeks ahead of the program but I'd like to do at least one run that a little longer and have a few weeks up my sleeve in case of set backs.

On the training program, next week is an 11.2km long run, followed by about 13km the following week. However next weekend is a 10km race held by Sydney Marathon Clinic and the following week is a 14km (or 7km) race held by Sri Chinmoy. I'd love to do at least one of those races, so at the moment I'm thinking about doing my own 12km long run next weekend and the 14km race the weekend after. That's increasing my distance just a little more than I'd like but the week after the race I would be planning on a cutback week.

I'm going to play it by ear and see how it goes... and of course I'll update here with what I decide to do!

After my run today, I went for my first bike ride in a couple of weeks - just a short 12.8km ride - it was slow but nice to get out there for a ride with Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, what's the worst that can happen if you enter a half marathon? Maybe you have to walk a little? No dramas. I think you might just surprise yourself, and you'll have a really good time too. I've heard the atmosphere is amazing at these big events.