Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm in a funk

This week... no running since Sunday.

The week started off innocently enough. After a weekend of my longest run to date and a 5km race where I ran my second fastest time ever, I decided that Monday and Tuesday would be rest days. No problems there. Then Wednesday came. I got home at about 4:30 - 5:00 after work, and crashed on the lounge and slept for an hour. I could have run after that, but my heart just wasn't in it. In fact I made home made pizzas on pita bread for dinner, and had a piece of crusty pita bread stick in my throat and make me choke. I ended up coughing and actually vomited in trying to get the bread up. Needless to say after that I was ok, but I'm glad I didn't run, because I didn't feel great after that. That brings us to today - Thursday. I had an inservice course to go to, and could have easily run when I got home from school. Today, it's really hot (now that it's Autumn it's decided to deliver us the summer we never had), and very sticky and humid weather for running. But whilst I had the time, and could have easily gone, I just didn't feel like it and I let myself off the hook. I'm not really pleased about that, but I've felt in a funk all week.

My funk has extended to my diet too. For the last month or so, I've been making 5 salads on Sunday evening for my work lunches for the week. Last Sunday I had people over and never had a chance... and then I just didn't get to / feel like making them on Monday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday ... So my lunches have been rubbish. And not just my lunches... there was a day when I didn't get lunch at all at work, so there I was pulling into the McDonalds drive-thru on the way home and ordering a quarterpounder and small fries. And snacking in general has been bad this week. There have been several chocolate bars purchased (and I haven't done that for a long time) and this afternoon was full of both boredom and comfort eating.

The only positive thing this week was that I signed up for the 14km race on Easter Monday. I suspect I will finish last (I know lots of people say that and they are middle of the packers - but I really think I will be last), but I'm just interested in doing the distance. A jump from 11.5km to 14km is probably a lot, especially after a crap running week, but we'll see how we go.

I can't wait to get out of this funk.
I'm trying not to beat myself up about it and figure I will get back on the horse soon. My philosophy is that the more I run long term, the less frequent funks should be. If I beat myself up about it too much now, I think I will turn myself off too much. But maybe this is me giving myself excuses. Who knows... all this thinking has made my head hurt. Tonight it's an evening of crappy tv and a glass of wine whilst reclining on the couch.

No comments: