Saturday, March 15, 2008

Long and slow...

Today's run: 11.5km, 1hr, 34 mins, 21 secs

Well another longest long run for me today. It felt a lot slower than last week's longest run, but in actual fact it was only about 10 seconds a km slower. I know the first part of my was extremely slow, so I must have picked up some pace as I got going and found a rhythm. The good news was that I had grave fears of bathroom issues on such a long run, and except for a planned pitstop after 4km, I was all a-ok. I also tried out wearing my fuel belt for this run, and I took some jelly beans with me, and had about 5 or 6 spaced out over the run. They went down well but I don't know whether I could say I noticed a difference, and they stuck to my teeth which was annoying! Call me fussy, but I just don't like the idea of sucking back a gooey slimy gel though.

When I finished, up my run, I had tiny little niggles in my right ankle, knee and hip, but I felt pretty good. I jumped straight in a cold bath to try and help my recovery for the first time too. Well, actually I lie. I had to start out by making it a luke warm bath (or else I could never have forced myself to sit down), then I kept adding cold water and let out any warm water that was left. Not sure if the bath has worked yet, since it's only been an hour or so since then.

If I recover ok today, I'm thinking about doing a 5km race again tomorrow. Getting all of this distance is great, but I need to practise some runs at a faster pace too. We'll see how we go. And then depending on how next week goes, I might jump a little in distance and try a 14km race on Easter Monday... or maybe I am getting ahead of myself here and stick to the 8km...

No comments: