Sunday, March 2, 2008

Intervals ahoy!

Today's run: 6.4km, 46 mins 38 secs

Yesterday I mentioned that I could 'feel' the inside of my right ankle after yesterdays run. Well I could still 'feel' it this morning, so I left my run. But I've had a crappy weekend and haven't felt relaxed at all. My sister and her husband, and my aunt visited for my mum's birthday, and we went out for the day yesterday. It should have been great, and it was, but I couldn't stop thinking about all the work I should have been doing to get up to date. I couldn't even stay at mum and dad's last night for dinner with everyone, I came home and worked instead. Also for some stupid reason that defies explanation, even though my sister is my bestest friend, I always seem to feel inadequate after spending a weekend with her. I can't quite work out why. So I wasn't feeling very relaxed today, and was pretty down, so I decided it was worth the risk in going for a run.

Something I noticed about that too - a couple of months ago if I felt like that I would have reached for the chocolate and chips - but today, I really needed to get out there and pound the pavement. I'm so pleased that's my new reaction.

Anyway, my first 3.2km lap was nice and easy. I had a couple of twinges in various places on both legs, but nothing I would consider painful, and after continuing on, it became pretty comfortable. After a toilet stop, I decided that today would be the day when I started my first lot of interval training. I didn't want to do anything too rash or full on, since I don't really want any injuries, so I decided that for my second lap, I would run 1 minute hard, then 2 minutes recovery jog. I don't know that my 1 minute hard was very consistent, but I was pretty happy overall with my efforts.

Here's hoping that this week at work is much, much better than last week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good on you for not going for the chocolate and cookies when you're down - that's only going to be good for you.
Hope you're feeling better soon!!