Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I think I have been too easy on myself...

Today's run: 9.6km, 1 hr 9 mins 59 secs

Many of you will probably look at the time it took me to do today's run at scoff at how slow I was. But I am very happy with this run for a couple of reasons.

1. 9.6km is my longest midweek run yet. One of the benefits of school holidays is that I now have time to do these longer runs midweek, plus I can do them in the morning rather than after a busy day chasing after several hundred kids, when it's sometimes all I can do to get up the three flights of stairs to my apartment.

2. Slow as it may seem, the pace for today's run is one of the fastest regular training runs I've done in ages. My pace was 7:17 - often my runs are between 7:30 and 7:50 for a regular training run - on the weekend my long runs are over 8:00 a km. And considering the length of the run, I'm pretty happy with that!

My run was 3 laps of a 3.2km loop... the first lap my shin on my left leg was a bit sore... I hadn't run yesterday because it was sore then too. I started to get a bit worried, wondering whether to pull the pin and rest up, but just before the end of the first lap it felt a bit better, so I kept going. And during the second and third laps, it actually felt good! I managed to get a longer stride going for the second and third laps, which was great, and my shin is only a little sore now.

Yeah for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for you!!! Good going, glad your legs are feeling good. Don't worry about time/pace - I reckon if you run well and you feel good, that's a great session.