Saturday, April 19, 2008

I threw in the towel

Today's run: 5.8km, 46 mins 20 secs

Today I was meant to run 18km. As you can see from the above, I didn't make it. My lungs were fine and my breathing was nice and easy. I didn't even get particularly sweaty on the run. It wasn't raining like I had feared. I got up early to have breakfast a couple of hours before my run, so everything should have been good.

Currently I have two voices in my head that are giving me different opinions on why the run didn't go so well. Here are their opinions...

Voice 1:
The last two weekends have been very long runs for me... 15km and 16.6km. I've never run that far before. My legs just needed a break and a cut back week before I attempt an even further long run.

Voice 2:
I got soft on myself. My head wasn't in the right place and I could have kept going if I wanted it bad enough. Just because it got slightly hard I gave up.

The truth of the matter is probably somehwere between the two. Worst part was, not only did I cut the run short, I also stopped about a km from home and walked the rest of the way. So pretty disappointed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good on you for listening to your body and your mind. I can't run if my head isn't in the right place either. Also, all the training programs I've read suggest an easy week after a couple of hard weeks, so you're on the right track. I think you did the right thing, even the km walk home at the end.