Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Midweek

Today's run: 8.1km, 1 hr 2 mins 30 secs

Today was one of those days. You know, the kind where you just keep getting one thing after another to deal with, and just when you think you can't handle anything else, there's another 3 things landing on your desk. The worst part of my particular role (I'm a teacher but also responsible for a year group of students) is that when you're dealing with people, you just can't put some things off - they have to be dealt with.

So by the time I got home this afternoon, I was very happy to go for my run to have some time to think things through... not that I solved a thing, but it gave me a break at least. My goal for this afternoon was to do a run of a decent length - ie not pike part way through and cut it short! And I was very happy with 8.1km... that's my longest midweek run to date. It is a bit of a pain because of course these longer runs take longer amounts of time, especially at my pace! I was a little less enthusiastic about this run compared to plenty of other afternoons, but I figure at the stage of my training that I can't afford to be piking on things - if my program says to run, then I need to run. I kept repeating to myself this afternoon "If you can't run, then walk, if you can't walk, then crawl." And funnily enough, I managed to run the whole thing.

A good way to start the month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have so much regard for teachers!! I homeschool my two children, and it's hard - you must be amazing to manage a class of 25 or so!!
I know what you mean about trying to fit in the long runs mid week, there's just not enough time when it takes me ages to do a few km.