Friday, April 25, 2008

Second time's a charm

Todays' run: 18.75km, 2 hrs 38 mins 13 secs

After 13 straight days of rain... it held off this morning although it was very overcast. A lovely cool but not cold morning, perfect temps for running.

Mentally it was a much better run than the last couple of weeks - got up just knowing it would be ok. It was a long run, mind you, and my ankles, knees, hips etc are a little creaky now. Calves were tight to start with, but aside from those few little things, I'm just so pleased and relieved to have completed this run... I thought it was going to haunt me! I managed to keep my mind focussed on what was going on around me, rather than the route or distance I had to run.

As I said though, the best thing is that now I feel like I'm in a position to finish a half marathon, whatever happens in the next few weeks. The plan is for one more long run next weekend and two weeks to taper. On Sunday I'm planning on a race, but I'm not sure at the moment whether a hard 10km race after today will be too much, or whether I should go for a more realistic 5km. We'll see.

Yeah - it's done and the monkey is off my back!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhh!! You are so good! What a great run.You'll easily finish your half marathon now. Can't wait to hear how it goes. When do you have to decide on the race distance? Are you able to see how you feel on the day?