Sunday, January 27, 2008

Another crappy run...

Today's run: 4.8km, 38 mins 51 secs

It hasn't been a good few days, running wise. After running on Thursday night with my running group, and getting back pain and exercise induced asthma, I took a complete rest day on Friday. After vacuuming on Friday though, my back started to become sore again. So rather than do my 5km fun run on Saturday morning, I took another rest day. On Saturday, my back was fine, which was good. So this evening (Sunday), I went out for a 4.8km run. It started off ok, and my back was behaving itself. I had various twinges at various parts of my run. My left hip would be sore for a while, then my right shin was sore for 200m or so. But after about 3km or so, I got an intense stomach cramp, which was no fun at all. I've had this once before, the first time I went to my running group, I think. It was almost like an intense hunger pain, but tonight I had to stop and walk for 50m. Now I may be a bloody slow runner, but I always keep going, I don't stop and walk. After the initial pang of pain, and the little bit of walking I did, I was able to keep running (very slowly) until I finished my run. The funny thing is, that tonight, I had a small handful of chips to eat about 30 mins before my run because I was hungry. But the other week when this happened before, I hadn't eaten since lunch time and was running at about 6:30pm at night again. So I can't work out whether it has anything at all to do with eating.

Whilst I'm pleased I managed to make it to the end of my run running, I need one of those runs soon (you, know, the really good kind). On Tuesday I have to go back to work after summer holidays of being able to run whenever I want to. Not only is work going to be spectacularly busy, but I am worried that it's going to be hard to fit in time to run amongst everything else. And I don't want to be a fair-weather runner, or a summer-holidays runner. I want to be a real runner. I've almost been there before, and stopped after a year or so for various (flimsy) reasons. I want to read this blog in 5 years time and still be running, and laugh at how slow I was and how small the distances are.

Come on good run... come and get me!

2 comments:

Megan Hall said...

Hang in there - the good one will come!

chia said...

I wonder if Mercury going retrograde effects forms of travel like running too. Kiddin :). May many happy runs come with this new week :-)!!!