Monday, January 21, 2008

A change in form

Today's run: 3.2km, 25 mins and 23 secs

Since I have started back to running this time around, my form has changed quite a bit. I used to think I was a mid to fore foot striker when I ran before, but I have now discovered that I wasn't. In fact, I was probably a classic heel striker. One of the things that has really changed my form this time is the barefoot warm ups I do with my running group. It's true what they say - when you run without shoes you definately land on your mid to fore foot. So that's what I've been trying to focus on when I run at the moment. For the most part, that's easy enough, although my legs still get quite tired during a run, and I turn into a sloppy runner, just happy to keep putting one leg in front of the other, any way I can! The last couple of runs in particular though, I have been getting quite tight calves, and I'm pretty sure that that's a result of my new stride. I also have always had tight hamstrings.

I guess the point that I'm getting to, is that I think I need to focus on stretching. Stretching previously has always seemed like such a big hassle. And I'm the sort of person (and I wish I wasn't), that if it all starts to get too hard, and seem like a pain, then I will just give up and not do it. But I don't want to get to that point this time. I don't want to be a giver-upperer, I want to be a runner.

So I'm off to investigate some stretches. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that post. Yes, do some stretches, you know it's good for you. :)

We all prefer to just get going and do the sport we love and ignore the basics - but if you love running, shouldn't you love stretching as well?

chia said...

I think we all have that particular "facet of our being" that is completely anti-runner behavoir. I love to stretch, but I HATE abs and most strength workouts. I know it's good for me, but I just can't stand the idea of actually doing it.

If you want to read a book that will help your foot strike, I personally love ChiRunning. I got it out of the library a year or so ago and have since gone back and bought it to study it more than a quick "peruse" can do. Certainly not for everybody, but it did help me out.