Thursday, January 24, 2008

Can't. breathe. any. air.

Went to my running group this evening. We started off with a warm up, and I was slowest around the oval during that. We stretched a little, that was fine. We did some drills. They were ok, except for the ones where you had to start out slowly and get faster towards the end. I was slowest there too. The main event for the evening though, was a 3km time trial. 3km is not very far, I think to myself, I should be ok doing this. And I was taking it as a gauge to see perhaps what kind of time I might do on Saturday during my 5km fun run. The trainer says "go", and everyone sets of. Within 100m, I am again last. My running group, by the way, is not full of speed demons (although there are a few) - many of them are plodders but they are still quicker than me! Anyway, there I am, tail-end Charlie. Everything was going ok until 2.75km. Then it happened - I just couldn't get enough air in. I'm trying to puff and pant and suck in the air, but it just felt like it wasn't going further than my mouth... nothing seemed to be getting down my air way. By this stage one of the quicker runners (after a 10 minute breather because they'd finished so long ago) had run back to run the last leg home with me. Mostly because I didn't want to give up or look bad, I kept running and made it to the finish in a crappy time I'm not pleased with. When I finally did finish, I didn't even have enough air to say to anyone how I felt. I'm guessing exercise induced asthma, although I've never had any kind of asthma before. And to top it all off, about half way through the 3km I started getting a niggling ache on the left hand side of my back... higher than the butt muscle, sort of next to the hip, really low down on my back. Anyone know what that muscle is / what may be causing it / how to fix it?

OK. There's my rant and feeling sorry for myself post. Tomorrow is a 100% total rest day. I think 5 days running in a row is too much now. Hopefully my time on Saturday's fun run is not too disappointing.

2 comments:

Megan Hall said...

You're probably right - 5 days in a row is too much. Rest days are important.

Just remember, though: Dead F***ing last beats Did Not Finish which is way ahead of Did Not Start.

Good luck on Saturday!

chia said...

I'm no expert but that sounds like sciatic pain...

"Symptoms of sciatica include pain that begins in your back or buttocks and moves down your leg and may move into your foot. Weakness, tingling, or numbness in the leg may also occur."

One way I've been dealing with my excercise induced asthma is increasing my broccoli intake. I eat a head of broccoli a day because I had read somewhere it helps your body's ability to use oxygen more efficiently. I haven't had breathing issues since. I heard spinach is a good contributor as well.