Monday, January 14, 2008

It's a conspiracy...

Today's run: 3.2 km, 22 mins 41 secs

As the title says, it's a conspiracy. This evening I was meant to go and run with the running group I joined again. It never happened.

Unlike last time, I was ready to go on time. I had hydrated well, I hadn't eaten since lunch so I wasn't running on a full stomach, and I had all my gear together. I had put my handbag in the boot of my car last time, and I wasn't comfortable with that, so I took the cash I needed for the training fee with me. However, I was only about 5 minutes from home when I discovered that I was going to run out of petrol before I got there. And besides my entry fee money, I only had enough other cash to buy about 3L of petrol. Even if I had stopped for petrol, I then would have been late again!

So I reluctantly turned around and headed for home again. At least I was ready in my running clothes and all I had to do was park my car again and go run. I did my usual 3.2km route again, albeit quite a bit quicker than last time. I had contemplated doing 5km tonight since I wasn't going to get as much of a workout as if I had been with my running group. However, as I started running I started to ache in my lower back, below my waist but above my backside. Towards the end of my run, this sort of moved to the left hand side of my body. Not sure at all what caused this... but thought it was better to do less than more since I'm really still getting back into running. Also since I hadn't eaten since lunch, I started getting pains in my stomach and cramps towards the end of my run and ate ravenously when I got home! Now as I walk this evening after my run, I feel a slight 'twinge' in my left shin.

Truth be told, I was a bit nervous about going back to the running group. Whilst the people were lovely and the trainer was great, my efforts that evening were similar to what I would put into a race - and to back that up with the same again a few days later is a big ask. Like I said, I don't want to overdue this too soon! Plenty of time for that later!

No comments: